Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nov 22/09 Finch's Field- Battle of the Bulge - Hold the Line
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> After Action Report
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Nov 22/09 Finch's Field- Battle of the Bulge - Hold the Line Reply with quote

Okay... let's start with a big thanks to Finch and Fido for the use of the field.

We had a great turn out today... over forty players. Thanks to everyone that came out. You were all great and there were no issues that I was aware of.

Thanks to Mark (str8shot) and John (forever_kaos) for helping to setup the field. Thanks to Rob (dogfood) and Mike (voice of reason) for leading the Axis troops.

The weather was perfect - hard to believe that it's the last week of Nov.

Okay... so here is the break down for the day.

Axis

50 points for clearing the roadblock/minefield
100 points for taking and holding the Allies 1st Line of Resistance
29 Allied KIAs X 2 = 58 points
30 Allied Confirmed KIAs X 5 = 150 points
25 points for catching an Allied soldier on the field without a KIA card

AXIS Total Points 383

Allies

50 points for stopping the rescue of Major Hans Von Grubber
50 points for blowing up the Axis Ammo depot
100 points for holding the 2nd Line of Resistance
100 points for holding the 3rd Line of Resistance
12 Axis KIAs X 2 = 24 points
29 Axis Confirmed KIAs X 5 = 145 points

ALLIED Total Points 469

So I'm calling this an Allied victory. The Axis were not able to push the Allies out of the forest and therefore could not take Bastogne. The Allies were able to hold the line allowing Patton's 3rd Army to reach Bastogne.

Both side suffered heavy casualties and fought well.

Thanks again to everyone that came out! Now get those WWII impressions started! We'll see you all in the field again.

Thanks

Here is a LINK to the AAR on ASC.... http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?p=1109205#post1109205
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the day, great job putting it together Lee. The mail call, even though I was late reading it was a good touch.

Quite a few highlights:

Ian's squad level mercy kill.

Defending the ridge on our right flank, we managed to keep the Germans at bay for quite some time with at the most 4 people, usually one or two though.

The recce patrol. When the German soldier walked passed us about 20 feet distant, the three of us were all down with weapons trained on him. I remember thinking 'Shit, you're going to get the light up of your life if you look to your right, whether you clock us or not.' No idea who it was, and I'm sure he hasn't a clue what he nearly walked into.

(Re-enactor)Sgt. Glynn Tromans, 3 Tp, 3rd Para Sqdn, RE.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkie wrote:
I really enjoyed the day, great job putting it together Lee. The mail call, even though I was late reading it was a good touch.

Quite a few highlights:

Defending the ridge on our right flank, we managed to keep the Germans at bay for quite some time with at the most 4 people, usually one or two though.

The recce patrol. When the German soldier walked passed us about 20 feet distant, the three of us were all down with weapons trained on him. I remember thinking 'Shit, you're going to get the light up of your life if you look to your right, whether you clock us or not.' No idea who it was, and I'm sure he hasn't a clue what he nearly walked into.

Yeah, hill 54 saw a lot of action and it kept going back and forth. Every time the Germans took the Ridge we caught hell down below on the line.

The field really worked well for the scenerios.
mr.shiney
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this was my first outing for a WW2 Game, and truly first Milsim game - WOW. an amazing day.

The credit card is already getting its kit work out.

Lee - an amazing game, very well organized and thought out. The Mail Call was something I was not expecting.

Glynn and Ian - It was a brilliant thing taking the field with you guys. Not to mention drooling over the kit that can be had.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.shiney wrote:
As this was my first outing for a WW2 Game, and truly first Milsim game - WOW. an amazing day.

The credit card is already getting its kit work out.

Lee - an amazing game, very well organized and thought out. The Mail Call was something I was not expecting.

Glynn and Ian - It was a brilliant thing taking the field with you guys. Not to mention drooling over the kit that can be had.

Mike, did you ever get a chance to eat? I know you were try to get some chow and I was just about to take a piss when the CP started to take fire and that was that... totally forgot that I needed to take a piss for another 2 and a half hours.
Johann Hansen
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say, we wanted to make life miserable for you guys. Smile
mr.shiney
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No finally did get to eat, no worries. Just like the Germans, attack in an ungentlemanly fashion.
Backspasm
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkie wrote:

Quite a few highlights:

+1. I was only in the position to almost trip on the Germans after following orders to cover the flank though, and I am still a little annoyed at myself for not getting all 6 Very Happy Also the crest of that hill by the berry bushes was a great spot for the Germans to fall on me. Although watching 5 of you go by out of my range was a little aggravating, cutting off your reinforcements was good enough Smile

Shiney seems to bring good energy to the unit as well, and look forward to having him out with us in the future. Perhaps next time I will get in to character as much as he does, as it makes for a better atmosphere (to em at least).

Another highlight was at the end when we charged the Germans. I go on a 1 man flanking mission to take the commander prisoner, but find one unarmed German and a camera man. I should have just shot everyone! I really wanted to take prisoners though.

Cpl Ian McNish (Re-Enactor) 6th airborne
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backspasm wrote:
Shiney seems to bring good energy to the unit as well, and look forward to having him out with us in the future. Perhaps next time I will get in to character as much as he does, as it makes for a better atmosphere (to em at least).

Yeah, the more you get into Character the more you build on the atmosphere... for that day you are back in 1944. Once we all start doing that then you will feel like you've stepped back in time.

Backspasm wrote:

Another highlight was at the end when we charged the Germans. I go on a 1 man flanking mission to take the commander prisoner, but find one unarmed German and a camera man. I should have just shot everyone! I really wanted to take prisoners though.

Yeah when you told me that... I thought... you're in their trenches and you're trying to take prisoners... just shoot them! Not eveyone can be Sgt. York! Laughing
mr.shiney
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian:

Thanks for the compliment, it means a great deal. I had an amazing time out with you and Glynn, and well Stewart (and his Gucci Go Faster Gear). I look forward to complete my kitting out, so that next time I will be in more period appropriate garb.

To the Bosch: You guys are wonderful to look at, whilst adopting a good site picture. really your uniforms where amazing, save for you almost all had MP44 or MP40. Your impressions where well thought out. I was surprized to see the variation in the kit.
Dogfood
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Lee for hosting, and for fido and finch for the use of the field.

What a great day. The letters were a great touch. It was funny to sit around a listen to everybody bitch about what their wives did at home. Hell mine sold the silverware.LOL.

It was a blast to command the German forces with Mike. Were were able to clear the minefield after 2 attempts. The first time I was on my knees cutting the "wire" and all the time thinking when I was going to get "lit up" by the Allies. It did happen but only after I had uncovered 3 of the 5 mines. We went back a short time later with a stronger force and 3 engineers were able to uncover them after a great amount of effort. Assaulting the Allies front lines at the end of the day proved difficult, as they were well dug in. We managed to push them out of their positions after taking heavy losses and inflicting the same on your enemy, only to be pushed back a short time later.

After today I hope that all who attended will join us again. It was a fantastic day with an outstanding group of people.
Johann Hansen
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man I almost forgot about that minefield.

Wish I was there for the great progress you guys did the first time around.
I can't believe how hard it was to find that last mine

I say again Lee, when is the next game! Very Happy

The only thing I would suggest for game #2, would be to add more objectives and places of interests (IE - Wounded civilians wanted by both parties for different reasons or some such)

And again, it was such a pleasure meeting all you Germans Smile
Look forward to the next game where I should be more kitted out
PanzerGrenadier
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Game, thanks for hosting Lee.

Had a blast.

sorry for interupting your leak.............. NOT!
FNG
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good game and great bunch of people. Thanks for hosting and thank you to the field owner. I hope that we can have many more games at this location.

I have one complaint. Not really a complaint...but an observation. The combat/wounded rules. You are hit. Tie a ribbon on your gun. A medic or team member gets to you within the 5min bleed out period...your good to go....if not.....you die and go to your respawn. I agree that if a medic can get to you, tie a bandage on you, keep fighting.

50% of the Allied team didn't follow the five minute rule.

Who knows what the % is for the Axis side. I would assume just as bad.

Doesn't matter....still a good game....

But.....InCountry games have another rule that we should look at. To make things just a little more authentic.

This is it: That five minute bleed out rule.....the countdown starts when all combat has ceased in your position. To make it simple...if people are shooting anywhere near you. You do not start your 5 min. countdown untill it has stopped. Just a little more realism.

Ideas?
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I was seeing the same thing on both sides. I had to keep reminding our side of the rules. I really don't see the rules as being difficult to understand and when I ask at the briefing... "Everyone understand the rules? Any questions about the medic rules?" Nothing.

If you also look at the numbers you will notice that there were only 12 German KIAs... that seems really low. So does that mean they were forgetting to deposit a card when they went back to the respawn area?

There has to be a better way... I will have to put more thought to it. Otherwise I might have to look at the in country rule. The only thing is with the in country rule is that the way the battle was going on Sunday, the wounded players could have been out there for a half hour or longer before the shooting stopped.

I may also look at the the medic rules the Washington guys use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> After Action Report All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: