Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Russell Air Show 2009
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> After Action Report
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Russell Air Show 2009 Reply with quote

Another fantastic event! The weather was great! We had a great turn out! Would like to see some Germans out next year and Russ you have to come out and setup that Aid Station.

The show was just as good as last year... I really don't get tired of seeing those great war birds flying.

I think that our display kicked ass! But that's just my opinion. The kids had a great time getting into the machine gun nest and getting their picture taken.

We were asked to be part of the openning cermony... next year we get out a lot sooner and we stand on the pavement. Very Happy

The highlight is when some of the WWII Vets were wheeled up to our display and we got to meet them and shake their hand. I'll admit that it brought a few tears to my eyes and it reminded my of why I do this thing called re-enacting.

We meet some guys from the Real steal re-enactors group... Germans and Canadian... who knows maybe some of them might even try airsofting. I know I would like to try Blank firing but at $5 a round I'm not sure I could do it that often. Not to mention Sandy would kill me if I brought a real gun into the house. Smile

Sean and the rest of the VN boys looked great as usual... it was good to see them out their.

I want to thank all the guys that came out this year... you guys all looked great and the response from the crowd, the real steal re-enactors proved that.

Thanks to Sam and Mark for helping me set up on Friday... I couldn't have dug that hole all by myself!

I want to thank the L & W museum guys for the invite and always making sure that we had what we needed and if we didn't... doing their best to provide it. Terry, make sure that you let the rest of the guys know that we think that they are a great bunch of guys... even Doug. (Make sure that when you tell Doug that you say it that way.) Smile

I can't seem to go to this Air Show without coming home with something... last year it was a GI footlocker and this year Jim Brown handed me a 1943 mountain pack... now I have to figure out a way to get him to give me his Harley!

I'll put up the pics in the next few days adn you guys that took pictures do the same.

Again guys, thanks for coming out and for everything you did to make this event another success!

Lee
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only agree with and reiterate what Lee has said. Great weekend, it was an honour and pleasure to talk with the veterans of 1CANPARA and other Army and Air Force veterans who seemed to enjoy our display. It was a real coincidence that when talking to some veterans, the entire group appeared to get bits of sand in their eyes. Extraordinary.

The wardbirds are always a pleasure, nothing like the sound of the Merlins and the big Pratt & Whitney radials, I never tire of that.

The interest from the real steel guys was surprising, but very welcome, I would think that the German ranks may well be swelling over the summer.

The pictures will be up shortly.

Oh, and I found this in Dispatches:

Quote:
TFC (Target First Class) Sam Cino, Distinguished Conduct Medal.

6th -7th June 2009.

On the above dates, Target First Class Sam Cino displayed remarkable poise and composure in the face of sustained and accurate small arms ribbing about chairs and correctness of kit. During the night of the 6th, a large scale barrage of major piss taking in regard to TFC Cino’s ignorance of the multiple digit method of measuring the tightness of one the more succulent pieces of the female anatomy ensued. Showing complete disregard for his own dignity, TFC Cino stood alone (figuratively of course, he was sitting most of the time in one of the aforementioned chairs) in soaking up this barrage, ensuring that the remainder of those present survived the night unscathed.

Never once, during the entire time that he was in the line of fire did he resort to the cowardly yelling of “Will you lot just fuck off!”

TFC Cino is a credit to his rank and should be shown as an example to recruits.

(Re-enactor)Sgt. Glynn Tromans, 3 Tp, 3rd Para Sqdn, RE.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkie wrote:

Quote:
TFC (Target First Class) Sam Cino, Distinguished Conduct Medal.

6th -7th June 2009.

On the above dates, Target First Class Sam Cino displayed remarkable poise and composure in the face of sustained and accurate small arms ribbing about chairs and correctness of kit. During the night of the 6th, a large scale barrage of major piss taking in regard to TFC Cino’s ignorance of the multiple digit method of measuring the tightness of one the more succulent pieces of the female anatomy ensued. Showing complete disregard for his own dignity, TFC Cino stood alone (figuratively of course, he was sitting most of the time in one of the aforementioned chairs) in soaking up this barrage, ensuring that the remainder of those present survived the night unscathed.

Never once, during the entire time that he was in the line of fire did he resort to the cowardly yelling of “Will you lot just fuck off!”

TFC Cino is a credit to his rank and should be shown as an example to recruits.

Laughed so hard I started to cry.
Here are my pics: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v467/MrEvolution/Air%20Show%202009/
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey did anyone else notice that there are no shots of the WWII guys or display in Sam's pictures?! WTF!! Confused

Nice pictures trooper. BTW... you look better in WWII gear... it had to be said.
Backspasm
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to everything that has been said.
Here are the best of the 100+ pictures I took. I will upload videos later.

http://rapidshare.com/files/242353112/airshow.rar

It is easier to DL them since there are so many. The nam pics are here too for sam.

Edit: Photbucket link here

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn151/backspasm/Airshow09/?albumview=slideshow

This one should work...beware of flash loading tomes though

Cpl Ian McNish (Re-Enactor) 6th airborne

Last edited by Backspasm on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backspasm wrote:
+1 to everything that has been said.
Here are the best of the 100+ pictures I took. I will upload videos later.

http://rapidshare.com/files/242353112/airshow.rar

It is easier to DL them since there are so many. The nam pics are here too for sam.

I can't seem to be able to get to them. I keep getting an error that says the file is too big to save. I don't know if that's the issue or if it's the host web site's way of making you buy their service. Anyone else having an issue?
Fader

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading as I type.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is working fine. That specific site has some issues with some users now and then, try again later.

Ian, your photobucket requires a password to see the album.

After seeing the downloaded pictures................i think i was in the wrong uniform after all.
Souk
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that seeing you guys at the Air Show was one of my Top Highlights for the weekend. I came by sat, and had an absolutely FABULIOUS time!

I loved your display that you guys set up. Everything was very well laid out and just led your eye from one spot to another. I Just had to capture them in pictures, and i hope you where all ok with me snapping away. And on further inspection of the Dug-out... i say GOOD JOB! that clay must have been 2 ft deep! lol. Mighty good job! Your setup and display was truly amazing.
How did you guys last on Sunday, because i was tired after just sat! .... lol and i hope you guys didnt get sick of that Candy my dad was giving out. I was sick after my first piece. I know he asked a few.. well more then too many times if you guys wanted some! lol.

But all in all it was a GREAT day! the weather was great, the visibility was perfect, those beasts in the air where graceful, it was truly a spectacle of sight!
The B-17 flying by, and the C-130 sent shivers down my spine. And to see some of those planes that flew, it will always be a memory.

I hope you guys had an enjoyable weekend,
As i know I sure did!

All my best,
Souk
Dogfood
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a weekend! Once again the air-show didn't disappoint, I don't think I will ever get tired of seeing those planes fly. Yes our friend Sam did take a beating on Saturday night, but came out on top. Great time had by all. The best quote of the weekend for me happened like this. A Vet came up to me in his powered wheelchair looked at me and asked to see my rifle. I went on one knee and as I swung the Enfield off my shoulder so he could see it, the look on his face was like a kid on Christmas day. As he took the rifle from my hands he started to tell me how great his rifle was during the war, then in mid sentence he stopped talking...I could see the sadness in his eyes as all the memories of the years past and friends lost came rushing back, as the tears ran down his face he handed the Enfield back to me and said "Don't let anyone forget what happened, promise me you won't". Then to gain his composure in a light hearted moment, he look over at Lee, Matt, and Mark sitting in the fox hole and said " Those Americans sitting there are just like the war, they look good but boy are they lazy". I had to laugh at that. I had a great time, thanks to all who made it possible, and to all who came out. In for next year!!
Boche
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkie wrote:

The interest from the real steel guys was surprising, but very welcome, I would think that the German ranks may well be swelling over the summer.

This is good news, but when I was there on saturday afternoon all I heard was how standoff-ish they were. What changed?
Dogfood
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memel wrote:
Yorkie wrote:

This is good news, but when I was there on saturday afternoon all I heard was how standoff-ish they were. What changed?

They came to look at all the cool " Hey we can't own those anymore " German guns. ie Luger and the all to expensive Stg44. They were impressed. One of them even said you guys look great you should come out with us some time. It was a surprise. I talked to 4 German and 1 Canadian real steel and they were all interested in joining our group.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogfood wrote:
A Vet came up to me in his powered wheelchair looked at me and asked to see my rifle. I went on one knee and as I swung the Enfield off my shoulder so he could see it, the look on his face was like a kid on Christmas day. As he took the rifle from my hands he started to tell me how great his rifle was during the war, then in mid sentence he stopped talking...I could see the sadness in his eyes as all the memories of the years past and friends lost came rushing back, as the tears ran down his face he handed the Enfield back to me and said "Don't let anyone forget what happened, promise me you won't". Then to gain his composure in a light hearted moment, he look over at Lee, Matt, and Mark sitting in the fox hole and said " Those Americans sitting there are just like the war, they look good but boy are they lazy".

Amazing. Just....Amazing.
Boche
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogfood wrote:
memel wrote:
Yorkie wrote:

They came to look at all the cool " Hey we can't own those anymore " German guns. ie Luger and the all to expensive Stg44. They were impressed. One of them even said you guys look great you should come out with us some time. It was a surprise. I talked to 4 German and 1 Canadian real steel and they were all interested in joining our group.

Spendid!
*crash*
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great time, I'm just glad it was ruined by people telling off colour jokes. Mr. Green Everyones impressions were great, even Sam's (less that little fashion faux pas with the chest rig). You guys did a good job with only having had a 10 sec drill class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> After Action Report All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: