Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time-Line Living History Event 2008
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> After Action Report
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Time-Line Living History Event 2008 Reply with quote

I tell ya it keeps getting better. The vehicles at this event were fantastic! Jim Brown's Jeep and Harley were the one of the hightlights for me. What a thrill is was for me to be driven around in it for the parade. Matt you did a great job driving... you didn't stall it once! Plus, we looked damn good in it.

Steph's halftrack was another thrill! Wow!! Even the ride in the deuce and a half was great... I looked around and it was like Easy was in a joint mission with the British 6th Airborne.

I want to thank eveyone that came out to this event... it was a great turn out! I think we made another good impression and we have been invited to the next event already. Thanks to Sam for bringing the chairs... I know we teased but it was greatly appreciated. Thanks to Mark for doing all my running around for me.

A big thanks goes out to Doug, Terry, Steph, and the rest of their crew for the invite and making sure that we have everything that we needed.

Our display looked that much better with all the WWII vehicles all around us. I'm sorry that I was not able to stay for the Sunday but someone else can report on today's activaties.

I will post the pictures as soon as I can. I also need to update the main website with all the events and pictures.

On a side note: Big toe is just brused and the toe next to it is fractured...
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Pictures Reply with quote

As promised...

Fader

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... What can I say that already hasn't been said.

Another great day with the highlight of the day was been able to drive the jeep with the Captain riding shotgun in the parade... Thanks goes out to Jim Brown for the once in a lifetime experience. And then later riding in a deuce and a half only to ride around on the half-track... OMG.

I wish I could have stayed longer but I'm looking forward to a sitrep for the Saturday night and Sunday adventures.

BTW... The VN guys looked very cool on top of the M113.

Looking forward to our next outing and thanks goes out to the Doug, Steph and Terry.
PanzerGrenadier
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then,
Im happy you guys came out, wasnt as great as the air show I think but I hope we all had fun.

Fader, just after you drove away doug came down and said OK, lets go rip up the field. Myself and the Vietnam guys were kicking ourselves because you had JUST left.

I hope Glynn gets his basement flooding cleared up, he had to take off with Ian sunday morning.

Mr and Mrs Crash came by to get their shelter halves from Terry, they left sunday morning as well to deal with some business things.

I didnt see Rob at all Sunday so I think he just packed his trailer and went home. I still have a pack of Luckies to give him next time.

Saturday evening was...eventful. The rain poured buckets on us, and we shredded the grass in the Abbot and M113 and the Lynx. The bands had to stop playing cause the engines were so loud!

Myself, Sean, Nate, and Forbes were drenched by the time we got back to the Barracks for some rest. Myself and Nate had our Cohiba's (thanks again Lee, that was a first for me) as we walked around the fort because the rain had stopped. We heard a big pack of Coyote's outside the fort which scared the Horses so we watched them for a few minutes as one of the fort managers explained to us some Ghost Stories, which prompted the rain to start up again. Forbes fell asleep in his bunk around 8 30 PM, and it was now 11 30. We all changed and went to sleep, and THEN he started to snore.

The fire alarm went off at 2:46 on the dot, no fire, the moisture in the air had set it off somehow. It turned itself off 10 minutes later and we went back to sleep.
another 10 minutes go by and it wakes all of us up again. No fire. We go back to sleep.
another 10 minutes go by, we all get up again. No fire. Someone proceeded to bash it off the ceiling with a hammer.

We got up around 8 the next day so we prepped the Vietnam display as much as we could. Two M14's, 2 M16's and 1 M4, One L.A.W provided by Terry, Two Claymores, and a metric ton of linked ammo belts and a 173d Airborne Flag.

Fewer people than Saturday, but Me and the Nam boys had some good fun scouting the many pretty girls that just seemed to show up from nowhere. We had the vehicle parade in the fort after lunch.
It was not the British guys fault the Bren carriers had stalled. 60% of the other vehicles died on Sunday!

The Ferret ran out of gas, and then wouldnt start when they filled it, so we towed it across the field and highway using the M113. Nate is going to post a video of it on ASC, along with a video message of "FUCK BORDER WARS!"

The Fitter (M113 with a crane) also blew a transmission seal and we had to tow that with the M113, and then the Abbot. 4/5 of the Bren Carriers stalled or seized and require new fan belts on most of them.
Myself and Forbes got to stop traffic on the highway as the Abbot towed vehicles across, AND we were wearing our VN uniforms and Helmets. I think Sean got some photos of that. It was during this time I was dubbed "Sex-Ed" by them, this is how it happened.

"Cadpat" Matt: (on phone) Yes dear ill be home soon, love you.
Sean: Girlfriend?
Cadpat Matt: Yep. Man that girl ive been hanging around with all weekend was a great kisser, and had a tight ****
Sean: Wait...your girlfriend was on the phone...OH!
Sam: How do you know she has a tight ****?
Sean: *Face to palm* Dont ask Sam...just...dont.

Theres your synopsis.

Photos
Link will be here.
Video:
Link will be here.
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thanks to Doug, Terry, Steph & the guys for organizing and inviting us. An amazing time that I was sorry to bail out on Sunday.

Highlights:
The Bren Carriers - Or rather the look that passed between the lot of us when the third carrier we'd been in at that point stalled out.
The Parade - I wonder how many pictures we made it into? Such an honour to be a part of.
The Deuce & A Half - That was a great ride. Fortunately close enough to the tailgate to see the look on the face of the drivers who pulled up behind us to clock Crash and his Bren pointed at them and bunch of Brits & Yanks that were armed to the teeth piled in the back.
The Half Track - Jarred the old wedding tackle getting into the bloody thing. <insert> But a damn good ride after that.
The Cayman Job - "Bollocks, we were on f****** camera!" Major Nigel "It's me fackin' Bren" Snidely-Smythe will be modelling the 2009 Denison Speedo's, get your tickets now.
And last but by no means least, a finer set of period looking folding chairs you'll not find. See Sam, we don't always rip the piss out of you. Well, when you did finally show up with the bloody things!

Great job guys, can't wait until the next one.

Glynn

(Re-enactor)Sgt. Glynn Tromans, 3 Tp, 3rd Para Sqdn, RE.
Backspasm
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from all mentioned above, I love the fact that the speedo part just happened to be when the camera guy was over filming us. The look on the faces of the other drivers out the back of the truck was priceless as well. Thanks guys for a great time out as well, I look forward to shooting some of you ASAP.

Sorry for the huge images, but I am not very good with uploading things on forums.

Cpl Ian McNish (Re-Enactor) 6th airborne
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics Ian. If you have more send them to me and I will add them to the main site pics section. I'm hoping to do that this weekend.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics - these ones are from Stef.

Just in case you didn't catch these in Sean's posting on ASC.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38618980@N00/sets/72157607329953089/
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain, I overheard some 82nd guys talking about a certain October game at the new flag raiders you were planning, any information on that one?
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought we would do a skirmish day. It's been a while since we have had one and I thought it would be a good way to get a look at the field before we do a milsim there.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture that was sent to me by Jim (owner of the Jeep and motorcycle). It's a great shot. As he describes it "You look like you're liberating Holland."

Sorry for the size of the picture, my software to resize is at home but I like this picture and I wanted to share it sooner then later.

PIC

Last edited by leecas on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks even better in BW. Thanks to Nate from ASC for converting it to BW.

Fader

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG... That picture is F'N AMAZING!!!
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture is almost beyond description. You could have lifted it from a 1944 newspaper for crying out loud!

Absolutely spiffing old chap!

(Re-enactor)Sgt. Glynn Tromans, 3 Tp, 3rd Para Sqdn, RE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> After Action Report All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: