Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Niagara Air Show
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> After Action Report
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Niagara Air Show Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for coming out, was a real experience for me to actually sit around and chat with you guys for a day, instead of just meeting in the safe zone and heading out to shoot each other over and over. Nothing like digging a foxhole from 9:30 - 11 on Friday night before the rain comes down.

Lee: Thanks for organizing this thing, it was real fun as I said.

Matt/Glynn/Rob, the Car ride to and from the restaurant was a real joy, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Hope Jamie feels better.

I'm sure we are all awaiting the infamous picture.

Heres the link to mine.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v467/MrEvolution/Niagara%20Air%20Show/

Hopefully no one in the tent woke up with a sore ass...im looking at you here Rob.
youonlywish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through some of these pictures:

I truely wish I was able to attend. Looked like a hell of a lot of fun. I'll be home soon, for sure.

second, WHO'S WALL TENT?

I would KILL for a wall tent.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a possible suggestion for next year, Repro-Rations for sale.

$4 each, or the Day Pack (all 3) for $10.
Box with whatever was contained in that specific carton, could be a cool idea as a bunch of people were checking them out.
Boche
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mel and I were leaving the parking lot around 5:30 in the afternoon, I said to her, 'Those guys sure have alot of time to kill before the start of the show tomorrow!' haha.

Any of the KG Haase guys show any interest in joining an airsoft game?

I'll post a link to my photobucket site tomorrow.....right now I can hear thunder rolling in so the 'puter needs to be shut down.
Boche
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised...

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/KG_Peiper/RussellAirShowJune2408/

Yes, I know......I put the wrong date for the Air Show, I'll fix it later.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another weekend and an event where all I can say is... WOW!

I'd like to start by saying thanks to Sam for coming out and helping with digging of the fox hole... we didn't get it too deep but it still looked good... damn clay... I tried digging more on Saturday after the show and it was coming out looking like bricks.

Thanks to Glynn, Rob, Jamie, Matt and Sam for coming out and helping with the display and standing around in the hot sun. I think we all looked great and our display and impressions made an impact. Not bad for our first historic display.

I want to thank Doug, Terry,Steve and the rest of the fellas from The Lincoln and Welland Regiment Museum. It was a rough start (stalled trucks, chip Wagons) but these guys made sure that we all felt welcome and they made sure that we got anything that we needed and more. They are all a great bunch of guys and they have some very nice toys to boot. We have already been invited to their event in Sept. (will post in the near future) and to return next year for the air show. Steve also has made us an offer that we cannot refuse (I will post more info about that also in the near future - but just a warning... it will be limited to the members that will be needed and the guys that attended this event have already signed on).

We are going to have to arrange a road trip to go have a look at their museum.

Highlights:

The Hole - That damn hole "shouldn't it be deeper" was some of the comments that we heard. Funny how when it was offered to the person that made the comment that they didn't try to dig it deeper. Actually I think the depth worked well because it allowed the kids (and some Adults) to go down and get pictures with the .30 Cal. A lot of pictures were taken with that .30 Cal and of us. It would be nice to get a copy of all the pics that were taken of us.

Terry's tank - Unbelieveable! Being in the back and also in the driver's seat while the engine was running. I don't know how anyone could be in one of those things for more then 5 minutes let alone in battle. I know I couldn't do it.

The Impressions - German, Canadian, Russian, Civies and even Japanese... men and women walking around in great impressions on a grass airfield with WWII planes and vehicles... it was outstanding. Got some great ideas for next year.

The .30 Cal. - I got a kick out of how many people thought that it was real. Even by a couple of guys that owned one themselves.

The Air Show - I'm sorry for the guys that missed this one because words or any pics will not do the airshow justice. To be so close as to touch this great war birds was unbelieveable. Spitfires, BF109, The Memphis Belle! The formation of the Lancaster and the fighters flying over the field withe Battle of Britian radio news casts blarring over the field speakers was just amazing. But the Saturday evening dogfight between the BF109 and the spitfire, after the show was over and the crowds had left, was the best! It's something that not too many people get to see and I was one of the lucky ones.

Over all... it was a great weekend and event. I think we held our own with the blank firing re-enactors (considering that this was our first historic event) and we might even got some of them thinking that these airsoft Re-enactors aren't that bad after all.

I will post the little pics that I got to take (dead battery) in the next day or two.

Again, thanks to everyone that helped make this event for OAWWIIR a success. For those that didn't attend... start working on your impressions so you can make it to the next one. Note to self... next year get a couple period chairs.

Last edited by leecas on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrEvolution wrote:
I also have a possible suggestion for next year, Repro-Rations for sale.

$4 each, or the Day Pack (all 3) for $10.
Box with whatever was contained in that specific carton, could be a cool idea as a bunch of people were checking them out.

I think this would be a wrong event to try to sell stuff to the crowd. We are there to represent a part of history and if we started selling stuff to the public I think it would just be wrong.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Pictures Sam and Peter... Thanks. Peter, those pics of the fighters in the air are fantastic... you would think that they were taken from the air. You can see the pilots in some of them. Tell Mel that she did a great job!
Fader

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... What can I say. One of the best events to date for the OAWWIIR group.

For those of you who couldn't go you really missed out an amazing experience.

Nice shots so far and am looking forward to more to come from the others.
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Simply Incredible Reply with quote

What can I say that hasn't already been said? What an incredible weekend; we received a lot of good responses, very positive. It was nice to have some genuine interest from the blank firing guys as well.

Thanks to all who made it thoroughly outstanding weekend, to Terry, Doug & Steve for all the help, support and Saturday night shenanigans.

Definites for the next time, CHAIRS and some SHADE, so I don't get knocked out with dehydration again. Didn't have anything to do with the beer the night before though, honest.

Personal highlights:
The Foxhole. "That only looks like half a hole, that's not a whole hole!" Lee, you're like a dog with a bone mate.

The Sukhoi SU-26. Just watching that thing doing the aerobatics almost made you want to barf.

The TBM Avenger. Never seen one of these flying or up close, I never realised they were so big, what a tank!

The Memphis Belle. Always good to see these workhorses, damn that ball turret looks tiny.

The Battle of Britain Formation. Could very well be a once in a lifetime event to see 2 Spitfires, a Hurricane and a 109 being led in formation by the Lancaster. Watching the Lancaster peel off as the tribute to the fallen brought a lump to the throat, as my late Grandfather served in Bomber Command.

The Dogfight. Probably another once in a lifetime thing. It was great to see the pilots of the Spit & the 109 simply having fun and enjoying themselves playing cat-and-mouse after all the public had left.

And last but by no means least,

The Solo Spitfire. This was almost indescribable. Absolute poetry in motion and thing of beauty. I've never seen a Spit go full out, hell for leather before. Loops, barrel rolls, victory rolls, power dives and low level sweeps and turns of the airfield I think left us all gobsmacked. I didn't get any footage at all of that as I was far too enthralled. I don't know about anyone else, but it was like being a kid again watching it, just incredible.

I'll get my pictures up this evening.

Glynn.

(Re-enactor)Sgt. Glynn Tromans, 3 Tp, 3rd Para Sqdn, RE.
Backspasm
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading all of this really motivates em to get my impression finished. I am rather close to the basic kit list Yorkie made for me to give some direction, but not yet there. Keep flooding with pictures though, as I am really enjoying them.

Cpl Ian McNish (Re-Enactor) 6th airborne
Dogfood
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is wow what a weedend, thanks to Doug, Terry, and Steve from the museum, and Lee for linking us up for this event. The high lights for me for this event were the spit and the 109 dogfight, as well as the other planes that were there for the weekend. Funny events for the weekend had to have been the ride back to the airfield on Saturday night, I was laughing so hard I was almost crying, Sam saying " Stop making me laugh or I'm going to drive us into the ditch!" and all the people asking us if the hole that Lee and Sam dug was "deep enough". At one point I handed one of the people the shovel and said you can try if you would like, they said no thanks as we pointed out the clay "clumps" that made up the airfield. What a great weekend these two pictures made the weekend for me...the rest to follow!

First the 101st boys Matt, Lee, Sam and Jamie...
Quote:

Second 6th Airborne, me and Glynn.
Quote:

leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that Easy Company team pics are always with four members but never the same members?

The last one was with myself, Matt, Billy and Mark. This time it's with Myself, Matt, Sam and Jamie. Maybe one of these days we can be at an event together... now that would be a sight... 7 to 8 Easy boys in one place.

We have some nice pics of Easy in front of the Belle... some even without the Civies in the background.

Rob, I really like the one of you and Glynn in front of the Spitfire.
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so this ismy album for the weekend, just one or two to browse through...

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/gtromans/Niagara%20WW2%20Air%20Show/

Cheers,

Glynn.

(Re-enactor)Sgt. Glynn Tromans, 3 Tp, 3rd Para Sqdn, RE.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... keep the pics coming. Once they are all up I will make an album in the Photo section on the main website.

Last edited by leecas on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> After Action Report All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: